North Dean Memorial Hall 2013
Extension and Improvements
have been made possible thanks to
a substantial grant of £50,000 from
The Rural Development Programme
for England (RDPE). RDPE is funded
by DEFRA and the EU.
The European Agricultural Fund
for Rural Development (EAFRD):
Europe investing in rural areas.
North Dean hamlet is pleasantly situated between two wooded hills, two miles from the church ~ so wrote Sheahan in 1862.
The village lies within the Chiltern dip slope and its characteristic features include ridge and valley topography consisting of Beech woodlands on the ridges and a mixture of arable fields and pasture lands in the valleys. Comprising a small residential community five miles north of High Wycombe, in Hughenden Valley. Most people driving through North Dean notice only some handsome old houses, and rather more built since the First World War, with a road inconveniently narrow at points. There are now about 80 houses in North Dean - 150 years ago there were 25. Nowadays very few people live and work in North Dean and most households have (and depend) on two cars. Things were very different a generation ago, and different again in the generation before that. In recent years the village has produced a Preliminary Chronicle detailing its history up to 1946 and a Millennium 2000 Year Book containing a photographic archive of Upper and Lower North Deans habitants and households.